Thursday, August 22, 2019

Day 1 (18 August 2019) in Olsztyn, Poland

For some reason, I remember the word "Warsaw" when I was undergrad student at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia. However, I could not remember why?? Anyway, here I'm, science brought me here in Poland and got a chance to see the city of Warsaw from air as well as through the windows of the train that rode from the Warsaw international airport to the Warsaw central train station.
I'll be staying in Poland for a week, attending the 2019 Beacon Satellite Symposium that will be held in Olsztyn that is located about 200km away from Warsaw to the north. I'm about to take my direct train from Warsaw central station to Olsztyn.
The Warsaw international airport looks very informative. As soon as I stepped out of the gate, everything has very clear direction. There is a marked colored lines that lead you to different ground transport (bus, taxi, and train) stations. Since I was not sure which way I should go to Olsztyn, I did ask information center which is located at the ground level. The lady speaks very good English and quickly told me that she did not have a train ticket to Olsztyn but recommended me to get the ticket by going to the central station or from the ticket machine at one floor down (where I can catch the train). I took the first recommendation and bought a ticket to central station. Although there're TV screens at the level where you can catch the train, there're staff members on your way and very keen in answering my questions. 
I arrived at central station and bought my ticket to Olsztyn, but I had to wait for about an hour to board the next train to Olsztyn. While I was waiting, I was walking around and found Subway restaurant, and I dashed in search of my lunch. I found very interesting stuff there. Have you heard/seen chili paper bread? I was curious to test as I'm a person of spacy food. It was so delicious but not that hot as I expected. 
Finally, I boarded my train to Olsztyn. It took me about 2hrs. However, it gave me clear opportunity to see the countryside of Poland, a predominantly catholic country. Of course, the late Pop John Paul is also from Poland. 
On my way to Olsztyn.
When I finally made to my hotel in Olsztyn. Later I reunion the other US contingents (from BC and MIT) whom I had dinner with. Tomorrow will be when we kick off the conference.                

No comments:

Post a Comment