Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 2 (20 January 2014) in Hermanus, South Africa



Jetlag! Ya! That! I had a terrible jetlag problem in my first night in Hermanus. I crashed to bed early (~7:30pm local time) and woke up twice with long hours wanders to went back to sleep. Since the guest house includes breakfast, when I stepped out of my room in the morning, I was greeted by a lady and directed to the dining room where a fruit salad and orange juice were waiting for me. She then gave me a choice what my main breakfast will be, and I chose omelet with mushroom and tomato. It was delicious!
SANSA car with the driver
 
SANSA main gate!
A little bit latter a car from SANSA came and drove me to the SANSA compound where I’ll spend my week. My host toured me around the different facilities and centers of SANSA. I was astounded with what I saw; it is really way more than my expectation. What attracted me most was the science center, which is dedicated for public outreach program. It is full of demonstration materials, from models of solar system to models of satellites and rockets, and many more practical materials. The center has steadfast staff members, and one of them told me that the center is always busy in accommodating visitors from elementary to high-school students and teachers. This reminds me a popular saying in Ethiopia “Flowers of today, seeds of tomorrow”, and the outreach program to young generation is my favorite topic. Another center that lured my attention was the space weather center, a room congested with flat-screen TVs hanged at the top of the wall, portraying the real-time data from many of space weather satellite; from SDO, STEREO, ACE, and from many ground based instruments. 
 Space weather center!
Science center!
Unlike scientists in the US, who do not have dedicated and fixed lunch time, here at SANSA there is fixed lunch time (1:00 – 1:45pm). John (my host) told me scientists are allowed to have lunch at flexible time. We had to walk about a mile to get good lunch which we did. Finally may second day concluded by having a group dinner with Lee-Anne (SANSA managing director), her husband and John. They took me to one of the beautiful ocean view see food restaurant “Ocean Basket restaurant” that serves fantastic food.
Group dinner at Ocean Basket restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment