Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 3 (11 February 2014) in Vienna, Austria


Yea! No jet lag today either. Ops! My talk is this morning and I have to get ready for it. As usual we took a train to the center. This time we knew where to go. Since we arrived at the center about 30min earlier, we had time to go around and saw different interesting treasures, including the Nobel peace prize medal given to Mr Kofi Annan in 2001 and to Dr Mohammed ElBaradei in 2005. The former was the secretary general of the UN from 1997 – 2006 and the latter served as director general of IAEA from 1997-2009. BTW, one of the buildings, where Office for Outer Space Affairs (OOSA) is located, is named after Mr Kofi Annan as shown below.  My talk went out successful. The meetings got concluded at 6:00pm. Dr Sharafat Gadimova from OOSA offered us (a small group of the US contingent) a tour to the UN facility which she did it graciously. I have to mention it here, this tour was scheduled for tomorrow, but the She did today just for me as I’ll head off back home tomorrow morning, hopping I’ll make it before the storm hit. At the end of our tour the same group went for dinner across the street. The restaurant was so fancy and the food was so delicious. We had so happy and interesting evening. Finally we took the train back to our hotel, and here I’m ready to head back home tomorrow.
 With Dr ElBaradei's Nobel peace prize medal
 One of the fancy meeting venue at the center!
 Interesting! One of the picture here is from the workshop that I co-organize in Addis Ababa in 2007
 With one of the rockets at the OOSA's exhibition center!
 Tope view of the entire UN center in Vienna!
This was the group that toured the UN facility!

No comments:

Post a Comment