Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day 3 (12 October 2014) in Xi'an, China



Recently, I developed very ugly enemy, which is jet-lag. I thought I was so exhausted and would sleep long, but that did not happened because of jet-lag. I woke up at 4:00am and couldn’t be able to go back to sleep. The breakfast of the hotel is really nice, verity of choices. After breakfast I went out to have sightseeing tour with my colleagues from MIT and BC. We took metro train to Dram and Bell towers, which is at the center of the city. The two towers were built in 1034 A.D., and the big drams and Bells that are located at the corresponding towers were used to tell the time. In the figure below I just pretended to hit the drum, but actually it is not allowed to hit it. For some reason, I become celebrity at the Bell tower, and Chinese wants to take picture with me. Humm! That tells a lot; there is no black community in Xi’an, which was confirmed by one of my Chinese colleague from MIT. We then went for lunch at the nearby restaurants to explore the local food. We heard Xi’an is known with spicy noodles, and we all ordered spicy noodles.
Metro station in Xi'an!
 Chinese flag with flowers, and bell tower at the back
 One of the biggest dram at the dram tower
 View from dram tower in which bell tower on the other end!
 Became celebrity all of a sudden!
 View from Bell tower with dram tower on the other end
 The big bell located at the bell tower!
 My lunch, spicy noodles
 What do you think is this? if you say it is spaghetti, you are wrong. It is candy!
After lunch we took a walk through the “snack street”. Holley molly! You can find all sort of food on this street, which is actually very crowded, different type of food but you need to watch out the ingredient. Next stop is the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, which is a Buddhist temple located in southern Xi'an that was built in 652. Again we took metro to go there. BTW, the metro system is so fancy and western like system. The temple is more or less has identical building style and icons with those temples that I saw in India, South Korea, and Thailand. The surrounding area is so nice and attractive and worthy to look at it. At the end of our visit at the temple, we decided to take taxi back to our hotel, but it was very hard to find taxi on the street. We spent more than half an hour to get taxi. My free time day has been concluded by having dinner at the conference icebreaker party. Tomorrow the conference, which brought me here, will kick off, and I’ve one oral talk (on Tuesday) and one poster (tomorrow) to share at this meeting. 
 The big Goose entry gate!
 The Big Wild Goose Pagoda (temple)
 Imprinted icons inside the temple!

No comments:

Post a Comment