Saturday, February 13, 2016

Day 8 (13 February 2016) in Davao, Philippines

Today is my last day in Davao. I got a message from Matt that indicated data gaps. When I got that news one thing clicked on my mind, i.e., the GPS antenna might not have enough visibility because I put it on the same pall that the USGS people used but lower than their antenna. So I decided to move the antenna location.
After having breakfast, I packed up my stuff and went downstairs to checkout. Efran was there waiting for me. I checked out and left my luggage at the hotel and went to the site. On our way to the site, we stopped at two different shops to buy bamboo for fencing the sensor and rope for the fence and huck for GPS antenna mount. We quickly moved the antenna, make a few unsuccessful trouble shooting for SCINDA computer, and left back to the hotel.
 Bamboo shope 
 Here is how the GPS antenna looks like at its new location
 Fr McNamara took as at the top of the Jesuit residence building; take a look how they electrified the building, so huge solar panels imported from China
Fr McNamara took us for lunch at the Jesuit residence, where we enjoyed nice buffet lunch. After lunch Fr McNamara made arrangements to take me out for site seeing. He took me to one of the beautiful site called eagle foundation park where I truly enjoyed watching those unique eagles and other animals as well as the magnificent naturally beautiful garden. Most importantly I enjoyed driving outside the city which gave me a chance to see the country side of Philippines. I dd not have words to explain its natural beauty, it's landscape and amazingly green nature. The deep green appearance surprise me because the temperature around this are is so hot and the humidity is more than 90%. A variety of fruits, mostly banana trees, are everywhere. Then they took me to another famous park, which harbour soooooo many crocodiles, so big ostriches, tigers, and so many other animals. Here is the surprising, may be shocking to most of you, thing. You can have snake massage. Yes! You heard me right "snake massage".
 At the main gate of the Eagle foundation park!
Picture paused with one of the Eagle!
 Local people dressing style!
 Seeing is believing, here is where you can have snake massage! 
One of the biggest Ostrich I even seen
Finally, we got back to my hotel and had to say good bye to Fr McNamara and two of his technician (Efran and Ruel). In general, my Davao's mission was a success and I earned a lot of experience. However, this success would not have been possible without the unreserved support that I have received from Fr McNamara, who made everything to go quick and smooth. Thank you Father.
When I get to the airport I learnt my flight got delayed. However, the guy at the checkin counter, offered me to be in the earlier flight. Hummm! He meant the flight that was supposed to leave at 6:20pm but delayed to 10:30pm. Gladly accepted the offer and  got into my Manila airport side hotel at 1:10am. Hope my next flight won't be interrupted!

No comments:

Post a Comment