Saturday, February 6, 2016

Day 1 (6 February 2016) in Manila, Philippines

Guess what takes long to get out of Manila airport? Well if you said immigration, you're absolutely wrong. Immigration process is actually very quick and efficient. It is the taxi line that takes century to get taxi ride to your hotel. 
When you step out of the buildings, you will hear mixed voice 'taxi' 'taxi'. If you follow  them without asking the price, they will rip you off. Because they do not have meter on their taxi, thus they just tell you crazy price. The good news is there are few taxis, they called them yellow taxi, that have meter on it. However, it has a long waiting line that takes about excess of an hour. What surprised me most was the price the other taxi offered me. It was four times higher the price I paid for metered taxi. Good to know!
Part of Manila city as viewed from my hotel window
Another new thing, at least for me, is how badly Philippines atmosphere is polluted. I remember when I went to China for the first time back in 2006, I had a hard time to see a blue sky. Well it is the same here in Manila. I thought here there are less industries or factories that emit polluted gas into the atmosphere; that may be true but at least I witnessed amazingly crowded traffics, with many of the cars are very old which may not pass smock check control if there is any.
Let's step aside the global warming issue and explore something else. How about some uniquely fun stuff. Take a look the vedio shown below. This is how the Philippinos attract customers into their ice cream shop; unfortunately they do not have that much customers inside but they got a lot of spectators watching them dancing just from outside. 
Anyway today, I'm so exhausted and will crash down soon. My scientific mission will be kicked off tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment