Friday, April 21, 2017

Day 1 (17 April 2017) in Bern, Switzerland

Well! When I bought my ticket, I thought I'll fly with British Airline. However, I ended up flying with Aer Lingus  (Irish airline). What do I say about Aer Lingus? May be the worst airline I encountered so far. In addition to their very poor service, they do not even have complementary coffee or soft drink for their flight within Europe. For my flight from Dublin to Geneva (an hour and fifty minutes flight), no complementary drink at all. You need to pay €3.00 if you need a cap of coffee. On the other hand, the price of the ticket is very much the same as that of major airlines that provide complementary food and drink. So, what Aer Lingus is doing? Simply, rip you off.
Dublin international airport! 
On my way to Bern - on the train (reminds me my childhood main duty)
Finally, I made it to Geneva airport safely. I then went through the immigration and all the way to train station to kick off my journey to my final destination, Bern, which takes more than two hour train ride. The train ride gave me an opportunity to see the country side of Switzerland, which is very very attractive, lots of cows everywhere. Finally, I made it to Bern safely; and my hotel was a walking distance from the train station.
Since today is Easter Monday holiday, every restaurants are closed and I could not be able to get dinner; the bad thing is I did not eat anything since this morning and it is now close to 8:00pm. Finally, I got one pizza house open.
Tomorrow will be the busy day; my main mission will be kicked off tomorrow morning. I'm here as part of an international team invited to the International Space Science Institute (ISSI) to discuss about the Ionospheric disturbance due to forcing from space and bottom. Just to say a few things about the institute; ISSI is an institute of advanced study where scientists from all over the world meet in a multi- and interdisciplinary setting to reach out for new scientific horizons. It was established in 1995 in Bern under the enthusiastic initiative of Swiss scientists and Professor Johannes Geiss, who was the first executive director of ISSI. It is now become one of the well known international centers for space scientists around the world, and is financially supported by different international agencies: namely, European Space Agency (ESA), Swiss Federal Confederation, University of Bern, Swiss Academy of Sciences (ScNat), Space Research Institute (IKI) of Russia, and Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). 
ISSI center, where I was hiding for a week!
Professor Johannes Geiss, the founder and first director of ISSI.

No comments:

Post a Comment