Saturday, April 22, 2017

Day 6 (22 April 2017) in Bern and Geneva, Switzerland

Unfortunately, today is my last day in Switzerland. So, I took a train back to Geneva in the morning. Since I had a few hours to catch my flight back home, I went to Geneva city to see around. I took a city bus to go around, and ended up at the United Nations center in Geneva. I've been hearing about it since I was high school but never had a chance to see it. Although I missed the visitors entrance time, which was from 9:00AM - 12:00PM (for Saturday), at least I got to see it from outside. The country was not part of UN until 2002 nor EU but it hosts a UN center.
On my way to Geneva!
A three legs so big chair in front of  U.N. center. The broken chair is a monumental in wood (5.5 tons of weight and 12 meter height) by Swiss artist (Daniel Berset), constructed by carpenter (Louis Geneve), and commissioned in October 1996. The objective was to get the largest possible member States to sign the Ottawa Treaty on landmines and cluster bomb in December 1997. 
U.N. center in Geneva was built between 1929 and 1938 to serve as headquarters of League of Nations, and has been serving as U.N. office in Geneva since 1946. 
Another U.N. building on the other side of the road!
On the train, feel tired!
The Jet d'Eau (Water-Jet) is a large fountain in Geneva (jetting 500 liter water per second to 140meter altitude by two 500kw pump, operated at 2.4kV). It consumes one MW electricity.

Finally, I returned back home safely and reunited with my family. In general, my trip to Bern was very much productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment