Friday, September 15, 2017

Day 1 (September 7, 2017) in Abuja, Nigeria

Departed from Boston for Abuja through London, flying with British Airline, early in the morning on Wednesday (September 6, 2017). The entire flight was on time and very smooth. I arrived in Abuja at 4:45AM Nigerian local time. Although the immigration processes took long time (for foreigners), it went out smooth without any hassle. For some reason, foreigners' travel documents checked by two officers, and you've to make a line for both. When I went out from the immigration, I could't find my host in the waiting area that I were familiar with. Unfortunately, because of the terrorist attack the family who're waiting for their loved ones are not allowed to get into the building anymore. Instead they've to wait under the shade across the street outside the building. Unknowingly, I was simply standing inside the building, but Prof Rabiu spotted me from outside and came towards to the building, of course with the permission of the guards standing there. 
Here is the public lecture advertisement! 
Prof Rabiu and his driver dropped me off at my hotel around 6:00am, and reminded me to be ready at 11:00am to be picked up from my hotel to go to NASRDA (National Space Research and Development Agency) of Nigeria or called Obasanjo Space Center, because I was scheduled to give a public lecture at 2:00pm on that day. I got picked up around 11:30am and went strait to AMBER station site, which is located at NASRDA's premises. After checking AMBER instruments and visiting all other co-located instruments deployed by fellow scientist from the US, Japan, and Europe, we went to the conference hall where I gave my lecture. The lecture commenced with few remarks by the director general (DG) representative (because the DG was outside the country during that week) and brief introduction by Prof Rabiu. The lecture, which was live streamed online for wider audience, went out very good. At the end, I went to my hotel and crashed into my bed. I have not had a good sleep for the last 24 hrs. Anyway, see you tomorrow!     
 At the top of the building where AMBER electronics are hosted, with Prof Rabiu right and the head of the lab on my left.

No comments:

Post a Comment