Monday, February 2, 2015

Day 2 (2 February 2015) in Belem, Brazil

Thanks God, there was no any jet-lags this time, only two hours difference any way. I met Acacio, an engineer who came to Belem from San Luze to help me deploy AMBER instrument in Belem, at around 8:20am. We went to the proposed site to see by myself. We quickly identified a potential good site. The next step is to get permission to access the nearby building and to dig the ground, because the earlier planed site is not good. While someone is working on to secure permission, Acacio and I went to INPE (equivalent to NASA for Brazilian) branch office in Belem. We met the director of the branch and she told us AMBER instrument was delivered to her residence; and we had to go there and picked it up. As expected the traffic was enormous, and when we returned back to the site it was already lunch time. We went to the campus's cafeteria for lunch which was really good.
This is the main gate of the campus where AMBER resides!
  AMBER sensor site!

 This is where INPE branch office in Belem is located!
This is where AMBER instrument has been stored since it arrived in Belem!
After lunch we decided to open the AMBER box and lay it down on the site and make a test, which we did successfully. While I was doing testing on my computer, I was asked to go and see the director and explain the purpose of the instrument. I went to the director, a very nice lady, and tried my best and explained about the purpose of the instrument. She generously welcome my instrument, but she need what kind of support I need from the institute in writing so that she will approve it right away, and she gave me her email to do so. BTW, I sent her list of support that I need from the institute about an hour ago and didn't get her response yet.
Finally, we disconnect the testing setup and packed up back and went into our car to head off to our hotel. Then I think (it was in Portuguese and did not understand) Acacio was asked to make a phone call to somewhere, it was another director from facility department. It was a kind of problem, asking explanation who will be responsible for power and internet service, etc. I was told it is minor and will be address smoothly.
Anyway, this was my first full day in Belem. Cross your fingers for me that tomorrow will be a productive day for my mission in Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment